The dykelands, fields, and settlement on the hills, first established by the Acadians in the 1680's, have been maintained and expanded over centuries by farmers of New England Planter descent, and later immigrants - including English and Scottish who came in the 19th and 20th centuries and Dutch who arrived after the Second World War.
The view of 1111 hectares (2745 acres) of dykelands within the World Heritage Site is framed by the dramatic Cape Blomidon, from which tradition holds. the legendary Mi'kmaw figure Kluscap (Glooscap) kept a watchful eye over his people.
Please download The Landscape of Grand Pré brochure.
Click to download brochure PDF
Click to download map PDF